Thursday, October 16, 2008

Descent of the Devi


The Devi is the Eternal feminine and worshipped in all her forms. She is Kali and Durga, Parvati, Sati, Annapurna, Ambika. She is the mother of the Universe and it is said without her power, Shiva becomes Shava (corpse). Her essence encompasses the ferocity of Durga, the compassion of Lakhsmi, the erudition of Saraswati and the instinct for battle of Kali. In her various incarnations Devi is warrior, mother, faithful wife and the source of knowledge, delivering all that her devotees ask of her. The Sanskrit word Durga means a fort or a place that is protected and thus difficult to reach. Durga, also called Divine Mother, protects mankind from evil and misery by destroying evil forces such as selfishness, jealousy, prejudice, hatred, anger, and ego.


The Devi Bhagvatam is said to have been composed in Bengal in the sixth century and has over 18000 shlokas. The text is only available in Bengali with Hindi commentaries. It has filled with legends of the Devi. Rich in drama and symbolism, these stories have survived today with the same intensity as they did when they were first told. So enjoying the legends every morning for a few minutes and loving it.


Thye say the Devi descends down to Earth - Kolkata during the Durga Pujas and for 10 days the city virtually comes to a standstill. So, this time I was in Calcutta during the pujas after 11 years. Don’t remember much but it was raining then and it rained this time also. The first difference I noticed was the temperature. It was hot and humid as if it was July August. I stayed in Calcutta for a quarter of a century but I dont remember October being so hot. Global warmin perhaps ? Anyway, after the first round of Devi darshan the Devi Bhakti took over and I suddenly had a strong desire to get something on the legend of the Devi but did not have the time to go to a bookshop. It so happened that I entered a toy shop and it had a book section and almost as if some power (shakti) was at work I walked (or was I led?) straight to a shelf and within 5 seconds of entering the book section I was staring down at the lowest shelf of a rack and saw an abridged translation of the Devi Bhagvatam which I picked up and put in the cart without a thought. They say the Devi delivers when asked for and I asked for a simple translation of her legend and the Devi obliged. Should have asked for more…..he he he.


When I was very small – say 6-7 years old I used to be scared of the Durga’s image and the lion, the corpse of the buffalo (mahishasur took the form of the buffalo) and mahisha sur being pierced with the trishul was all scary for me. In addition the fierce look in Durga’s eyes and her 10 hands also scared me (but why so many and all filled with weapons). I still remember screaming and running away crying from the pandal with my brothers holding me tight in case I got lost. Later my mom used to explain that the eyes are big and scary because the Devi is angry at the demon not to those who worship her. This time around what scared me was a combination of rain, humidity, the traffic and the crowd so the puja visits was limited to a few pandals only that were easily accessible. Now back home in Muscat I am reading the Devi Bhagvatam and enjoying the legend. No longer am I scared of the eyes and arms of the Goddess. They fascinate me now. Endlessly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW that is an awesome example of our saying that if your seek knowledge a teacher will be given to you.. and also the believe in syncronisity.. whereas when you want or need something if you are but aware you will be led to it :)
it happens in all things always.. all we need to do is PAY ATTENTION :)
LOVED THIS STORY (ACCOUNT) :) thank you for writing it !!!